Travel insurance for MexicoINF travel insurance offers travel health insurance for visiting Mexico. One of their plans (Elite) has excellent coverage of pre-existing medical conditions beyond the usual coverage for "acute onset" of pre-existing conditions which is a unique offering. You can compare their plans using this link and purchase the one you are interested in by choosing the "buy now" button for the appropriate plan: Please note that the Elite Network insurance and Premier Insurance are cheaper per month if you purchase at least 90 days the first time you buy them. You can compare all available INF US traveler insurance
Travel insurance for Americans traveling to MexicoUS citizens travel overseas to several countries for different reasons be it for a vacation, spending time with friends and family outside of the US, education, research, work... Mexico is one country where US citizens are very likely to travel given its proximity and long border along the Southern United States.
Mexico is a beautiful country with a long history. To its North, Mexico shares a long border with the United States. To its South and West it is bordered by the Pacific Ocean and has the Gulf of Mexico to its East.
Mexico is known for its cuisine like the famous Burrito, Tacos and Quesadilla. The country is also famous for its many Mayan temples and its beautiful beach destinations. The Yucatan peninsula is has many Mayan amazing ruins of Tulum, Akumal, Chetumal, Merida and Chicen Itza. They are also many incredible beach resorts - Acapulco, Zipolite, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres to name a few.
We often get customer calls from US citizens traveling to Mexico. Given the current Covid pandemic, one of the the most important travel insurance benefit that is sought after is good coverage for Covid-19.
There are several plans that US citizens and US residents can count on for traveling outside the USA(Home country) with Covid-19 coverage.
- Trawick International insurance company offers 2 plans for US citizens traveling outside of the US namely Safe Travels Outbound and Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver. These 2 plans are available for US citizens and US residents to travel and provide coverage for Covid -19. These are travel medical plans. These are comprehensive in nature. These plans are suitable for people traveling to Mexico with medical coverage.
- Atlas Travel is another comprehensive travel insurance plan offered by Tokiomarine HCC that is available for US citizens going outside of the US. This plan is a worldwide coverage plan with Covid-19 coverage. The plan also provides coverage for acute onset of the pre existing conditions.
- Liaison Travel Plus is another comprehensive worldwide coverage plan from Seven Corners and this plan is available for the US citizens to travel to Mexico and has coverage for Covid-19.
With the airline companies starting their international travel after a long gap of shutdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic, travelers are expressing their need for the trip cancellation benefit in case they need to cancel their trip due to unknown reasons. Another important addition to the list of benefits with the travel insurance is coverage for the lodging expense for quarantine purposes in the destination country.
- Safe Travels Voyager plan from the company Trawick International is a trip protection plan that fulfills the quarantine lodging expense in the destination country for $2000 of minimum coverage. This plan covers Covid 19 and has the trip cancellation benefit. This plan is available for US citizens and US residents traveling outside of the US.
To see the other trip insurance plans that provide coverage for trip cancellation and other benefits from the Trawick International, please Compare Trip Cancellation Insurance by Trawick International.
Entry requirements at Airports:
- All US citizens must show a valid passport, book or card to enter Mexican territory. There is no need for visa or tourist card for stays of less than 72 hours within the border zone.
- When you are traveling beyond the border zone or entering the country by air, US citizens are required to pay fee to obtain tourist card (FM-T), which is available at border crossings.
- The FM-T is available at Mexican tourist offices and airports, within the border zone. Major airlines will provide this form during your trip.
- On the FM-T form you need to enter the information like numbers of days you will be in the country, passport number, destination, city of origin and other related information.
- If you are a business traveller then you must complete and file form FM-N 30 DAYS. This will authorize to do business activities but not to accept employment for a period of 30 days.
- If you are entering Mexico for other purposes besides tourism and business or for stays of more than 180 days then you require a visa and a valid US passport.
- American citizens who are planning to work or live in Mexico must request to the corresponding Mexican visa at the Mexican Embassy or at a Mexican consulate in the USA.
- 16 years or older US citizens must show either a US passport or a card form in order to re-enter the country by land or by sea.