Different ways to qualify for Green Card

To qualify for Green Card in the USA there are different eligibility criteria. Some of the important categories of immigration process that can grant Green Card for foreigners are listed here.

  1. Immigrant Category Eligibility:On a preference system a foreigner who want to become a permanent resident through his/her qualified family member with a job or employment or a special category will be classified. However, the immediate relatives of US Citizens are given highest immigration priority for permanent residence and there could only a few exceptions.
  2. Family Based Immigration:The immediate relatives of American citizens who need not have to wait for visa to become available. Relatives who can get permanent residence quickly are:
    • Parents of a U.S. citizen.
    • Spouses of a U.S. citizen.
    • Unmarried children under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen.
    Please note: Only 21 years old US citizens can applying for their parents.Other family members have to wait for a visa to become available to apply for permanent residency.
    • First Preference: Unmarried, adult (21 years or older) sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
    • Second Preference A: Spouses of permanent residents and the unmarried children (under 21 years)) of permanent residents.
    • Second Preference B: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or older) of permanent residents.
    • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.
    • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.
  3. Job or Employment Based:In this category, the immigration based on a job may help to apply for permanent residence when immigration number becomes available. Following is the order of preferences.
    • First Preference: Priority Workers, including aliens with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and certain multinational executives and managers.
    • Second Preference: Members of professions holding an advanced degree or persons of exceptional ability (including individuals seeking a National Interest Waiver).
    • Third Preference: Skilled Workers, professionals and other qualified workers.
    • Fourth Preference: Certain special immigrants including those in religious vocations.
    • Fifth Preference: Employment creation immigrants (investors or entrepreneurs).
  4. Refugee or Asylum Based Status:Refugees in the USA or qualifying spouse or a child of a refugee have to apply for Green Card 1 year after the entry. In case of an asylum and a qualifying spouse or a child of asylee you may apply after 1 year of the grant of asylum status. As per the US law, the refugees have to apply for Green Card 1 year after being admitted to the USA in refugee status.
  5. Other Ways to Qualify:Some of the other ways to get green card will be if you are a Amerasian Child of a U.S. Citizen, American Indian born in Canada, Armed Forces Member, Cuban Native or Citizen, Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, Haitian Refugee, Help HAITI Act of 2010, Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act...